Tuesday, July 3, 2007

My Road to the Miss Texas competition…

“Your road to glory will be rocky but fulfilling.”

This is what my fortune cookie revealed to me while I was having some edamame at Pei Wei the other day. Don’t worry I didn’t have anything else, seeing as how I am still working on my swimsuit figure. But this message has been resounding within my head ever since I read the little fortune; I even saved it in my planner, and believe me, I am no way superstitious. I don’t really view the message in a superstitious way, like if I read it out loud it wouldn’t come true, or if I read it before I had finished eating my cookie the fortune would disappear.

Instead it’s a reminder, a special note written just for me by the gods of fate to keep my eye on the prize, my goal and my dream of becoming Miss Texas. A wise woman once said to me “the second you take your eye off of the prize that is when all of the barriers and obstacles overwhelm you.” They rush in like flood waters with no mercy for what you have built.

So, this little note, probably written and manufactured in some dirty stuffy factory in China, by a clueless soul as to the fate that awaited this one fortune has plagued me. It has aided in my return to the narrow road a competitor, an athlete, a boxer must walk to win the prize, mine just happens to be a crown and endless possibilities to impact people’s lives.

I usually don’t like to tell people I compete in pageants for fear I’ll be labeled a “pageant girl,” stuck-up, bossy, spoiled and materialistic, but ya know, isn’t that the stereotype given to most females anyhow? At least to any female driven by a passion and a dream that is not of the norm.

So, the cats out of the bag; I’m a proud pageant girl in training for a competition, actually beginning the competition tonight. But getting here has not been easy. I have fallen, stumbled, lost my way, rediscovered my passions and have built the best support group to which I could never thank enough.

And I'm not only talking my immediate family, my parents and brother to so much for me, but I did dedicate my last blog primarily to them, so I'm sending out a quick thanks to them.

But now I want to thank those who never had to help me, who didn't really know what they were getting into when they said "yes I'll help you, Mercy, prepare for Miss Texas." They had no idea of what they were getting into and much less with me at the forefront driving this pageant machine. Yet, they faltered, lost faith in me, and stayed to the very end.

For one, my fitness sponsors, Express Fitness Club with Trevor, Gerard, Cherri, Sam, Mo and Jacob. Yall have not only made me look good but yall make me feel good and thats what working out and a gym is all about. It really is a community at Express Fitness and would have never wanted to go anywhere else.

David Medina, you are a blessing and a joy to have in my life. We are fellow SMU alumnae and my favorite dancing partner. You have never said no to anything I've asked and have always placed a smile on my face with your fabulous ideas.

have But most importantly my HEB board and my family. I'm going to have to make this quick because blogs that go too long get boring and I could probably go on for days about yall. But my momma Linda, my lil Chris and my Aunt Gigi...yall have supported me in every possible way a person can be supported. Yall have loved me in every possible way one can express love. Yall disciplined me, encouraged me and tolerated me and my off the wall way of doing things.

I would not be here today if yall had not come into my life. Thank you.

Its important to always remember, you can't really know where your going until you know where you have been. So, I was looking through old photos and remembered back to October when I won the title of Miss Hurst Euless Bedford and can know see my journey coming full circle.

I thought it would be fun to share them.

No comments: